This is a wonderful plum and juniper sauce to serve with duck, or with gammon. It’s also rather good spooned over red cabbage.
Make lots of this sauce while plums are in season – August to October – as it freezes well.
Recipe for plum and juniper sauce
Serves about 4
- 450g/1 lbs plums
- 4 tbsps soft brown sugar (or agave syrup)
- About ten juniper berries
- A few sprigs of thyme
- Splash of brandy
- Halve the plums and add to a medium saucepan.
- Add everything else, and heat gently for twenty minutes or so.
- Once the sauce is reduced to a pulp, remove the stones, and any large bits of skin.
- Taste, and serve, or freeze.